The Chalice of Thrommel
The Greenjerkin Rangers are a troop of some 50 rangers who police the uppermost reaches of the Gnarley forest, Vesve and the small river port town of Stalmaer. They work with the local druids and serve as protectors of the Gleaming Glades. They are skilled archers and elite scouts. They are a tightly knit group, but outside rangers who earn their respect may be invited to join their ranks—a definite honor for a skilled forester. The town of Stalmaer is located in the Gold County at the juncture of the Att and Velverdyva Rivers.
The Greenjerkins, known as such for the green and brown gear they wear, are ever watchful for humanoid incursions into the Forests. Also they keep an eye out for signs of a return of the Cult of Elemental Evil. They enjoy meeting with travelers and learning of customs from other regions, as they tend to stay within the confines of this area. The Greenjerkins pride themselves on diplomacy and intelligent actions whenever possible. Sometimes the local people call upon these rangers to settle disputes between neighboring homesteads.
Membership is by invitation only with a Greenjerkin Ranger contacting any player who reaches an affiliation rank of 5 or higher.
Titles, Benefits and Duties: To gain rank within the Greenjerkin Rangers, you must actively seek to defend the great forests of Furyondy against incursions from evil humanoids and those that would despoil the land. You may not make use of any benefit if it would result in a demotion to a lower rank.
Criterion (One Time) Modifiers
- Character level +½/level
- Worships Ehlonna as your patron deity +1
- Possesses 2-5 ranks in any associated background. +2
- Plays an adventure set in the Gnarley or Vesve Forest as a member of the Greenjerkin Rangers +1
- Causes or fails to prevent the destruction of a forest area -4
- Associates with evil humanoids or agents of Iuz -8
- Benefits and Duties (benefits and duties are cumulative)
3 or lower
Not affiliated, servant, or junior member with no benefits.
4-10 Junior Ranger: Junior Rangers are the youngest defenders of the forest protecting the wood and its inhabitants and hunting down those who seek to do it harm. Learning from their assigned Senior Ranger, they protect the forest from outsiders, humanoids from the Kingdom of Iuz, bandits and evil cults. The symbol of a Junior Ranger is silver oak leaf. As a member of the Greenjerkin Rangers, you receive the following benefits:
- Associated Backgrounds Survivalist and woodsman backgrounds are associated with the Greenjerkin Rangers. You receive a +1 circumstance bonus to checks made with associated backgrounds in the Gnarley Forest, Celene, Vesve and the Welkwood. You also receive an equivalent circumstance penalty to all Charisma-based backgrounds made in any urban environment.
- Communication The Greenjerkin Rangers have a system of nonverbal communication that helps them in times of clandestine activity against humanoid invaders. This non verbal communication allows any ranger to communicate with any other ranger whom they have line of sight.
- Forest Regions All adventures set within the Gnarley Forest, the Vesve , Welkwood, or Celene cost one (1) less TU.
- Service You are required to spend time patrolling the forest regions, ensuring that evil humanoids are rooted out before they can gain a foothold. You must spend 1 extra TU after any adventure. This TU cost is waived for playing adventures set within the Gnarley or Vesve Forest.
11-20 Greenjerkin Ranger: The archetypal Ranger, you are a defender of the Great Forests, protecting the wood and its inhabitants and hunting down those who seek to do it harm. You watch over travelers through the forest, making sure that they treat the forest with respect, and your patrolling has given you insight and knowledge of the forest that carries you to greater responsibilities. The symbol of the Greenjerkin Ranger is a silver oak leaf pair above an acorn worn as an amulet.
- Alternate Background: Your backgrounds with the Elf Queen, High Druid and Orc Lord are considered 1 higher up to a maximum of 5.
- Associated Backgrounds: Your bonus with associated backgrounds increases to +2
- Commando: The ways of the Greenjerkin Rangers are the ways of stealth in wartime the Forest. You gain 1 free background point in any military background dealing with commando operations.
- Lodge: By spending 2 TU, you may build yourself a hunting lodge somewhere in the Gnarley or Vesve Forest to serve as a refuge or base of operations. This lodge corresponds to a farmhouse and grants the benefits of the hunting lodge as detailed on the Chalice of Thrommel website. These TU must be paid once per game calendar year and are in lieu of any monetary charges.
21-30 Senior Ranger: The Senior Rangers are among the most experienced defenders of the great forest. Between one to three Senior Rangers serve under each Ranger Knight. Guiding the Junior Rangers and the Greenjerkin Rangers, they protect the woods and inhabitants, hunting down those who seek to do it harm, especially humanoids from the Kingdom of Iuz, bandits and evil cults. The symbol for the Senior Rangers is a golden acorn with two silver leaves.
- Associated Backgrounds: Your bonus with your associated background increases to +4
- Commando: The ways of the Greenjerkin Rangers are the ways of stealth in wartime the forest. You gain 1 additional free background point in any military background dealing with commando operations.
31+ Ranger Knight of the Greenjerkin: The Ranger Knights are the greatest defenders of the forest. The symbol of the Ranger Knights is a golden acorn with two silver leaves surrounding a moonstone. Attaining the rank of Ranger Knight requires special campaign documentation as earned through session play.